Keys to as successful momentum pattern: Always replace a behaviour with a behaviour, find the right trigger, use for behaviours, not non behaviours (eg I don’t get up in the mornings is a non behaviour)
Steps to a momentum pattern for changing behaviour
- Elicit unwanted behaviour. Have ther person describe the current behaviour or state to be changed
- Find the trigger for this behavour or state or belief by asking
- How do you know its time to __________? (eg yell at employees)
- In response the person will recall a specific time when they experience the trigger.
- Elicict the internal representation they are currently accessing by saying.
- Now, close your eyes. When you think of that (trigger) now, do you have a picture?
- After the person gets the picture, do a break state and have them open their eyes.
- Ok, good. Now open your eyes
- Nex, elicit the desired behaviour by asking
- How would you like to act instead?
- Get the internal representation for the preferred behaviour. With their eyes open or closed, ask them,
- When you think of (that behaviour) do you have a picture
- Have the person associate into the picture temporarily and intensify some of the pictures submodalites to create a more compelling desired behaviour
- We’re just going to adjust some of the qualities of the picture now. So go ahead and step into it, see it through your own eyes. If its black and whit, make it colour. And turn the brightness up, so its most compelling and most realistic for you. Turn the volume up on the sounds. Notice the feelings that you are feeling and double the intensity of those feeling now.
- Have them dissociate from the picture by saying
- Okay, now go ahead and step out of the picture so you see yourself, the ideal you, in the picture
- Break State
- Clear the screen
- Have them associate back into the old trigger for the undesired behaviour. And create the new picture in the lower left hand corner. Say
- Close your eyes. Good, now take the picture of (the old trigger) and put it back up on the screen. Make sure you’re looking through your own eyes. Now, as you look at the picture have the new picture of the ideal you, appear small and dark on the lower left hand corner of the screen of your mind.
- Okay, now in a moment I am going to have you replace the old picture with the picture of your new behaviour, not yet, but in a moment, and when you do this, you’ll have the new picture explode big and bright on the screen of your mind in place of the other, while the old picture will fad and shrink down into your lower left hand corner. So , not yet, but when I say “whssht!” you will have the new picture explode big and bright! Do that now quickly! WHHHIIIHHSJST!
- (Optional) While saying this, rapidly move your hand up from their lower left corner to the centre in front of the persons face and make the sound, “WHHHISSSHHT!!!”
- Once the person has experience this new picture directly in front, break state”
- Now clear the screen or open your eyes
- Repeat steps 10-13 faster and faster while dropping off language each time and continuing to break state between each until they are no longer able to experience the old behaviour,. It should become difficult for the person to even visualize it anymore on the screen.
- Break state, test and future pace.
- So now when you think about the next time you (experience the old trigger), what happens? What do you do
- Calibrate to confirm that the individual now has a preferred response to the old trigger.
Rock and Roll
PS. What’s the one thing you don’t do, that would cause the most positive change in your life?